Home All About Me Favorite Blogs My Classroom My Products My Freebies Image Map

Saturday, August 16, 2014

Bright Ideas: Meet the Teacher Ideas

Stop the presses! I have blogged TWO DAYS IN A ROW. This just means that I don't have to blog again until December right? hehe

Today I am back with another Bright Idea!



Yesterday we had our Meet the Teacher at our school. Parents and students got to come to the school to find out who their teacher will be. They then got to come down to the room to see the classroom and meet me (or whoever their teacher may be). This is not an informational meeting or a time for conferences - just a hello - how are you - see you on Monday kinda deal.

I still remember how nervous I was before and during my very first Meet the Teacher 11 years ago. Couldn't sleep the night before - tried on a million and one outfits - the whole nine yards. Fast forward 11 years and I could do these Meet the Teacher nights in my sleep. Now our informational curriculum night is a whole other story. I still get nervous before those.

Here are some tips that I have learned over the years to make for a smooth Meet the Teacher (or whatever you may call it).

Tip #1

Don't worry if the room isn't done. 

The kids and parents will not even realize that the poster you wanted on the door isn't there or in my case the puff balls aren't where you want them to be. They are just happy to see the room and meet you!

This boring wall is in definite need of some color. This is where the puff balls come into play. When I go in this morning to get some last minute things done, I think I am going to hang them from the light fixtures and liven up this boring off white wall.


Tip #2

Organize any papers that you need signed and papers you are sending home.

We always ask for parents to complete a few papers before they leave - how their child is getting home on the first day of school and the emergency contact card in case of an emergency.  



I always separate my paper work into three piles: fill out and return now, return to school on Monday, and general school information.



To make it easy, I always include a cover letter with directions for filling out the forms.


 I also indicate which pile is which.

Leave a pen for them to use. Not everyone is a teacher with a million pens busting out of their purse.


Tip #3

Leave a little something to welcome the kids to your class. Kids love gifts so if you leave something for them on their desks they will remember that.

My team and I put together little gift baggies.





 Close up of the poem stapled to the outside of the bag.


Each item represents something about second grade. My kids loved them this year!




Tip #4

Have a place for supplies that the students may bring in.

If they brought them in, my students put their personal supplies in their desk - we will organize these on Monday. Classroom supplies went into these large bins! 


YAY already getting organized!

I hope these tips give you some ideas to a successful Meet the Teacher night. If you already meet your kids then maybe you got some ideas to use next year!

If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider following my blog or joining me on Instagram for more great ideas!

For more bright ideas from over 100 bloggers, please browse through the link-up below and choose a topic/grade level that interests you. 

Have a great school year!


   
   

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment