It's that time again for another Bright Idea!

In my eleven years of teaching, I have tried many ideas to help with student and classroom organization. One of the things that I have continued through out the years is my color coding for subjects.
My very first teaching job I took over for a fourth grade teacher who went out on maternity leave. I was blown away by how organized she was. One of her systems was that she assigned a color for each of the main subjects. EVERYTHING for one subject was copied, printed, mounted on the color that was for that particular subject. Fast forward 11 years, and I still use that system how it works for me.
Take a look at how I color code.
Each subject in my room is represented by a different color.
Reading - Yellow
Math - Red
Science - Green
Social Studies - Blue
Writing - Purple
Language - Goldenrod
Test reviews, projects, work packets all get copied on the color paper assigned to that particular subject. When taking an assignment out of their folders I will say something like, "Take out your green Science packet." Since they should only have one Science packet at a time it cuts down on the time it takes for them to find it. Now, I don't copy EVERYTHING for a particular subject on colored paper - but I will for the important stuff that I want to have stand out.
Learning Goals on my board - color coded to help students zeros in on the goal for the particular lesson we are working on quickly.

I use these baskets to put my copies for the week/unit in. I really wish the baskets themselves were color-coded but since they can't be I'll just use my pretty labels.
I will grade assignments using the color
assigned. Except for Reading as it is kinda hard to grade using yellow -
hehe. For Reading, I will use pink or light blue!
If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider following my blog or joining me on Instagram for more great ideas.
For more bright ideas from 150 different
bloggers, please browse through the link-up
below and choose a topic/grade level that
interests you.
Thank you for taking a peek into my crazy world!
Oh, I use different colors for grading too. Although I do it by type of assignment.
ReplyDeletepretty nice blog, following :)
ReplyDelete