Home All About Me Favorite Blogs My Classroom My Products My Freebies Image Map

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Best Books for Boys and a Peek at My Classroom Library!

Today I am linking up with Courtney over at Swimming into Second for her Best Books for Boys Linky Party.

 

Lately my boys have been really getting into the books from the Geronimo Stilton Series.


Click on the pic about to bring you to an interesting article on this very series.

 These books are colorful and exciting.  

They especially love when they get to watch an episode from the Geronimo Stilton DVD that I bought from Scholastic last year!

When Scholastic Book Orders has another book to add to my collection I will snap it up like there is no tomorrow. I have NO problems spending my money on books for our classroom library!

Speaking of my classroom library. Take a peek at what it looked like last year (looks the same this year I just did not take new pictures this year - eek!)

 

 I love my Office Depot rugs and purple chairs!
 This is not even my entire collection. Most people don't agree but I have my books organized by Lexile level. My students all have a "just right level" that they choose from to help then pick books that are just right for them. My books that are not age appropriate (either content or level) are not out for my kids to look at. Those books were from when I taught 4th. I will bring out some of them towards the end of the year - and then only the ones that I feel are age appropriate. One of the things I really stress at conferences is that just because kids can read at such high levels doesn't mean they should (that is a whole 'nother blog post!).

 My collection consist of books that belonged to my brother and I when we were young, books that were donated to our classroom by current and former students, books collected from our school wide book drives, and books that I have purchased myself. As mentioned above, I have absolutely NO problems buying books for our classroom library.

What does your classroom library look like?

Check out Just Wild About Teaching for an awesome giveaway!


Have a great day!
Christina :)

 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Christina,
    Just dropped by to say hello!! Those look like some great books to get boys actively engaged in reading. I have never heard of them before until now. I am your newest follower.
    Crystal
    Ms. Jones’ Junction

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Geronimo Stilton! And love it even more that my boys can't stop reading that series.

    Megan
    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the books should be organized by reading level for the students. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    Shelly

    Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up Christina. I love your book organization!

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post about books for boys. You have a ton of books! I love being able to snag great things from Scholastic, too!

    Growing Firsties is having a shout out linky and I chose to mention you in my shout out post!

    http://growingfirsties.blogspot.com/2012/12/shout-out-linky-party-monthly-event.html

    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Geronimo Stilton. And Thea Stilton.
    What about Lunch Lady? And the Jerry Pallotta "vs" books? I think they are Scholastic.

    And in a classroom you have the right to do whatever you think is best. I will totally admit as a teacher librarian sometimes I get frustrated by kids constantly trying to make poor choices (no matter how many lessons and activities we've had on choosing "just right" books). But then again that's what I'm there for. To catch it and guide as gently as possible (because at the same time I will admit I HATE IT when teachers are all "that's too hard for you" in front of the rest of the class and make the kids return the books and go back for something else ... I know they're trying to do right but I think that sort of thing would be much better done in private. Don't make library visits exercises in disappointment and embarrassment). I think kids can benefit from BOTH experiences. A leveled library in the classroom and then by author or subject area in the school (or public library or bookstore).

    ReplyDelete