Home All About Me Favorite Blogs My Classroom My Products My Freebies Image Map

Friday, January 11, 2013

Five for Fridays and Common Core Help


I LOVE Fridays!
Fridays mean I have two days where I can sleep past 6am and that I can stay in my comfy clothes for the next 48 hours WOOHOO!!


1). I love that my kids are actually using the dictionaries that we have to look up how to spell words instead of just asking me.


2). Today I allowed my kids to play our reading board games when they were all finished with their weekly work. 

3). I am so proud of my kids and how well they are all doing in triple digit addition this week! They especially love doing their math problems on their white boards. 

 4). My brother had a birthday this week so that meant actual BIRTHDAY CAKE to go with my Birthday Cake flavored Ben and Jerry's! Yum!


 5). I am looking forward to watching some more episodes of Alias on  Amazon Instant Video. YAY!

I have decided that I need to start taking more pictures of what is going on in my classroom. I am never more then 10 feet away from my iPhone and it is not like I don't have access to a camera.


My district is slowly implementing the Common Core Standards. Next year my grade level (2nd) will not only be going CC but we will also be implementing a standards based report card. We are being told by "the district" that WE need to come up with our OWN assessments for each of the standards. Has anyone done this and willing to share what has already been created? Or does anyone have any guidance as to where I could look to find some assessments? 
Thanks in advance!


Get ready for some Giveaway Gossip!

Hilary over at Rockin' Teacher Materials is hosting an AWESOME giveaway! you should stop by and check it out.

Trisha over at 2nd Grade Frosting is hosting a Valentine's Day giveaway. Go check it out!

Have a great night!
Christina :)
 

5 comments:

  1. Christina,
    I found your blog through the 5 for Friday. We too are implementing the Common Core next year. I have to say if we can get away from giving grades (ABCDF) to our second graders I am all for a standards based report card!
    I also entered the Rockin Teacher Materials giveaway! She's great ain't she?
    Hilary
    Second Grade is Out of This World!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your newest follower. :) I have decided to take more pics too! Don't know why I haven't been doing it all along..
    My school also began CC this year. We are creating our own test. Haven't quite figured it all out yet. We are trying really hard! I get so stressed about it!!! ..I hope you have a great weekend!!
    Christy
    Mrs. Christy’s Leaping Loopers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Christina. Creating your own assessments for each standard rather than the CC....good luck! Also, YAY for dictionaries. "How do you spell..." drives me absolutely batty. Now, I only need to work on dictionary skills with my firsties... :)

    Catherine
    The Brown Bag Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our district is doing the same thing next year with common core. They are in the process of teaching us how to align everything, not sure how it is going to work out.

    Terri
    The First Grade Princess

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too are going to the common core next year and implementing a new CC report card. We, however, don't have to come up with assessments. Our district feels that assessments should be classroom based, including observation. The thought is that students should have series of assignments, assessments, activities, etc. that prove that they can do the standard, not one big test, or only one activity.
    What i have learned

    ReplyDelete