So...Hello! I am here. I never thought keeping up with a blog would be as hard as it has been. I am MUCH better at keeping up on Instagram so please feel free to follow me there!
Flexible seating is all the rage these days. I see posts about it EVERYWHERE!
But it is nothing new. I have been using choice seating in my classroom more and more these days and I have been using it for years.
We still have desks. I will always have desks. I don't think I could get rid of them.
We take our assessments at our desks and with testing such a big part of school these days they need to feel comfortable testing at a desk.
We have been using our classroom carpet more and more during whole group lessons though sometimes I just want them at their desks while I am walking around teaching.
My kids LOVE our choice seating that I have around the room.
We started out using it for read around the room.
Moved onto using it for group activities.
Now I will let them work where they would like during independent math time and writing time.
It is nothing fancy and I have been collecting it for years.
Check out some of our choice seating below.
Got these in the College Dorm section of Walmart about 7 years ago.

Then I added these chairs that I got from Ikea.
These came from the Summer section at Lowes.
Love our classroom carpet!
The most recent addition to our choices.
(Yes, this is a picture of them in my trunk!)
As you can see, it took me 7 years to accumulate the choice seating that I have.
If you're not sure about flexible/choice seating start slow.
You might just like it!
If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider following my blog or joining me on Instagram for more great ideas!
If you enjoyed this bright idea, please consider following my blog or joining me on Instagram for more great ideas!
Don't forget to check out all the other "Bright Ideas" posts listed
below. If you see something you like, please leave a comment. We
bloggers LOVE to hear from you!


I had "reward" seating in my high school classroom, and I was always surprised how many students preferred to sit on my carpet versus desks. They would even choose the carpet over the comfy couch I had in the back corner! And those who earned the option would continue to work to maintain the option! Proof positive to me. :)
ReplyDeleteI have been looking for those seats in Wal-Mart. No luck in mine. :(
ReplyDeleteBut I do have camp chairs and a couch that my students love!!
Terri
KinderKapers
Wow, you have accumulated a ton of fun seats! Come to think of it, I have a few things in my basement from when my daughter was little... now you have me thinking!
ReplyDeleteSally from Elementary Matters